Here are just a few examples of how your United Way donation is impacting the lives of people right here in our community.
You provide support and stability for our youngest citizens. These will be our community’s future leaders
- Last year, children’s early literacy development was enhanced by getting thousands of books into homes in Greater Duluth through the Big Red Bookshelves.
- Last year, of 235 students who participated in tutoring programs, 91% improved at least ½ grade level in Language Arts/English and 90% of students improved at least ½ grade level in Math.
You promote financial stability and independence. Families should not struggle to make ends meet.
- Last year, 1,300 working poor individuals and families completed tax returns at no cost, bringing an additional $3 million into the Greater Duluth economy.
- Last year, more than 5,300 individuals sought financial counseling to assist with budget, bankruptcy and debt management issues – and increase of 35% over the prior year.
You improve people’s health. Everyone has access to the care they need.
- Last year, 1,600 elementary and middle school students improved their dental health through SMILES school-based preventive care program.
- Last year, more than 4,500 uninsured or underinsured people received the mental and physical health services they needed.
You ensure a strong network of basic human services. When life changes unexpectedly or in times of crisis, basic needs can still be met.
- Last year, more than 10,000 people in NE Minnesota were connected to vital community resources through skilled call specialists at United Way 2-1-1 Information & Referral.
- Last year, to address the 40% increase in demand for food at food shelves, 1.5 million pounds of food was distributed, providing more than 1.2 million meals. Last year, nearly 500,000 articles of clothing were distributed and 2,600 people received guidance on improving professional appearance for employment interviews.