It is almost impossible to buy potent medications in the US over-the-counter. There is a very limited number of medications available in the states OTC. The inability to buy the necessary medicines often puts visitors and new residents of the United States in a difficult position. Even if you know exactly what drug you need, in most cases you will need to pay for a doctor’s consultation to buy a medication in an US pharmacy.
Can you buy medications in America without a prescription?
In a number of European countries, you can buy prescription drugs from a local doctor, but in the United States of America and Canada, potent medications are sold only with a licensed prescription шт a pharmacy.
In the United States, there is a close e-network between pharmacies and medical institutions that cannot be fooled. When prescribing this or that drug, the doctor informs the pharmacy of your choice. Then the pharmacist prepare the drug for you strictly taking into account the doctor’s dosage and put it in a separate glass indicating the period of use. This is the only way to legally buy prescription drugs.
There are also categories of medications that do not require strict accounting. Although they are sold in the public domain, it is rather difficult for foreigners to buy them. The reason for this is elementary ignorance of the drug indications.
OTC medications for order
You do not have to visit a doctor to buy some drugs. Although it is highly recommended, because self-medication can harm the body and result in severe complications. On average, a doctor’s appointment will cost $80-300, which you can save if you are able to choose the necessary medication yourself.
It is possible to cure a cold without visiting a doctor with all-possible fortified, sweet-tasting powders like Fervex and Coldrex. There are many sweet cough drops containing menthol and mint in the drugstores.
In general, the following list of popular cold medications can be found:
- Theraflu is a loose powder designed to quickly relieve cold symptoms and reduce fever.
- Mucinex and Tussin – a mixture with mucolytic effect.
- Afrin – nasal drops or spray against the common cold accompanied by allergic symptoms.
- Motrin is an antipyretic agent.
- Cepacol – lozenges against cough.
It is possible to treat a digestive system disorder in America with the following medications:
- Activated Charcoal Tablets.
- Imodium is also widely represented in the US market.
- Pepto-Bismol is an analog of Imodium, which is also used for diarrhea, but only available on the US and Canadian markets.
- Tums, Mylanta, Pepcid AC;
- Mezim is a drug used for gastritis and pancreatitis.
- Zantac, Acid Reducer are preparations used for high acidity.
Every person should have pain relievers within reach. Paracetamol is available in the American market and is taken more often than any other pain reliever. It is considered to be less harmful to the digestive system.
However,there are other pain relivers:
- Tylenoe – pain relievers, the active substance of which is ibuprofen. It is effective for headaches or toothaches.
- Advil – the action of the drug is also based on ibuprofen.
- Migraine Relief is intended for the treatment of migraines.
Treatment of asthma, bronchitis and other seevere diseases associated with the respiratory system is carried out only as directed by a specialist. Nevertheless, many antihistamines are freely available in pharmacies to relieve swelling in the airways and symptoms of allergic reactions.